Wednesday, September 25, 2013

After the interview: Approaching the end of a chapter.

Yesterday I had my interview at ANU for medicine. The journey was quite the roller coaster ride. I have been through joy, despair, periods of confidence and times of nerve wracking self doubt.

Thinking about it, the process of getting into medicine for me has been like a marathon race. It began from GAMSAT preparation in January, sitting the GAMSAT in March, receiving GAMSAT results in May, applying for med school via GEMSAS (the next day), receiving offers for interviews in August, preparing for interviews and attending the interview in September.



Here I sit at the end of the interview stage and I feel a sense of peacefulness. As I mentioned before, this journey I've felt nervous countless times (before the GAMSAT, preparing the interview, before the interview) and also ecstatic as well (receiving my results, receiving an interview offer). I realize that I am at the end of this application process, and all that is left for me to do is to sit and wait until offers are released in October/November. 

As I sit here just realizing I've done all that there is to do, I feel like a marathon racer who has just crossed the finish line to realize the grueling task is done. All that is left for me is to wait. When thinking back to the very beginning of this journey (picking up the pencil and doing the first GAMSAT practice question) what was in January feels to me like an eternity ago. Maybe that is what marathon runners feel when they think back to the very first step of the race.

One thing I am happy about is that I know I did my best on the interview. I feel like I cranked out all the druglion charm and made all the interviewers laugh and like me. Maybe this is why I feel so peaceful at this moment rather than a sense of hopeless despair. I feel like I would have a good chance in getting into med school at this stage. (Self-note: What an ass I would be if I actually missed out haha)

I feel a sense of accomplishment to have gotten this far into the application stage, and I appreciate how lucky I have been to be able to come so far. Countless people that I know don't make it past the GAMSAT and the interview offers. Numerous people get sent the email of death (EoD) with rejection offers to their applications. I'm really lucky to be offered a place at my fourth preference, and I am grateful to be even considered at all.

I sincerely want to thank all the people who have helped me on this journey. My girlfriend drugsheep who sacrificed countless hours of 'couple time' for me to focus on my exams and interviews. All my friends that have practiced with me and offered interview advice. All my online practice buddies whom despite are competitors were all so helpful and nice. It has been a pleasure meeting you all! I wish you all the best with your interviews!

Now that there is nothing left for me to do but wait, I feel this chapter of my life titled: Druglion applies for med school is coming to an end. I'm now turning my focus onto the next thing: Druglion studies for intern oral exam

Goodbye med school applications, see you again in October/November.


No comments:

Post a Comment