Thursday, September 5, 2013

A prickly situation

While at work today, my colleague took in a bag full of used diabetes needle tips from a patient. He didn't bring them in a yellow sharps bin, instead put them into a brown paper bag. Whilst my colleague was putting the tips into our large needle bin, a needle broke through the bag and pricked her finger.


It is a horrible feeling to see someone getting pricked with another person's dirty needle. My initial reaction was dread as I imagined that the patient might have some blood borne disease/illness. I immediately asked my colleague who she got the needles from and rushed out to find the patient. 

I managed to chase down the patient and proceed to ask him questions regarding his medical history. 

Although the patient was cooperative in answering my questions, I couldn't help but feel that the patient didn't feel responsible for my colleague's accident. He insisted that my colleague could not have possibly pricked herself as the needles had their safety tip. 

I agree with the patient, however he should also have brought them in a safety bin rather than a paper bag!

Thankfully, the patient did not have any blood borne illnesses, and the situation just ended after filling out an incident report. 


No comments:

Post a Comment