Thursday, September 12, 2013

Wrapping up my first patient

In the pharmacy today I was called out to help dress the wounds of a patient. The patient was an gentleman in his 60s who fell over in his garden whilst gardening. He landed on a brick and grazed his forearm.


According to the patient, the wound bled for a while and he had trouble stopping it. When I looked at his dressing, I noticed that the man had pieced together 6-8 small band-aids to form a gigantic fabric to cover the entire wound. I found his method both creative as well as funny.

The assistant had already chosen a melenin dressing coupled with an elastic roller bandage keep it together. Having just done a first aid course a few months ago as part of my intern training, I tried to look as professional as possible while I searching through my hazy memory on how to wrap up the patient.

After using some intuition and general knowledge, I successfully dressed the man's wound and sent him on his way.

In a sense I found that quite exciting. I wish I got to do such unusual things each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment