Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Passed my first med school exam

The end of first semester exam happened a few weeks ago over the span of two day on June 19 and 20th. We had 6 days off before the exam to learn 17 weeks of content. I was not used to such a tight schedule as in undergrad, we had at least 7 days at least PLUS any additional days before your scheduled exam time. To make matters worse, at ANU they only teach you one subject, so all the clinical content, med science content, population health content etc are crammed into one exam.

Due to this structure, some of my previous exam preparation strategies were not applicable, and the stress levels were high. By day 3, I could not stand studying anymore. Every slide I read just showed me information I didn't know. It wasn't until I compromised to just understand as much as I could, did I then find the motivation to sit back at the desk. By then, it was day 5...

When the exam came, I was apathetic and just went in to get it over and done with. I sat down at my table, got my pen ready, and started scribbling away once the clock struck 9:00am.


****

Today I got my results back. I heard rumors that they could be released tomorrow, but unexpectedly I got them in an email today. I wouldn't say I was dreading my results, but I was certain that the scores would be average at best.

When I read the email, I was surprised. Surely they got my exam mixed up with another person, because I did pretty well. With a class average of 68, I got 81. Huh... I was just 1 mark short of getting a high level pass.

I'm over the moon, but also feel that I don't deserve the score. Don't get me wrong, I'm deeply grateful for the marks, but how on earth did I get such a score when I just felt like I winged the exam? Maybe it's because I feel that my score doesn't reflect the amount of hard work I placed into it. Either way, I'm going to work even harder this semester to get a score I can proudly say that I earnt.

Note:
I realise this article may sound like a silent brag, and maybe it is :D
Good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment